Friday, September 18, 2009

Doctor Appointment Part 2

Tom and I went for our doctor appointment today to get another ultrasound and talk about induction. I wasn't really sure why I had to get another ultrasound or why they were so worried about the amount of fluid I had - but now I do. Apparently, all the fluid can cause the baby to stay up higher and if my water were to break before he descended, the umbilical cord could come down first and be pinched by his head - not good! So no more trying to break my own water! They want to induce me, have the contractions move him down into position and THEN break my water. Makes so much more sense now! So the moral of the story is we are going in Monday morning at 8 am to be induced.

Random things:
  • We went back today to meet the doctor that is SUPPOSED to be at the hospital on Monday but it turns out, he's not on that day! Apparently my main doctor didn't realize this. She sent him all these messages today about meeting with me, my record, when to send me for an induction, etc and he didn't understand why she was so concerned since he's not on call that day. Oops!
  • The doc we were meeting with today wasn't one of our favorites - we had met with him before and he was just too laid back, etc. So we were nervous about having him as the doctor on Monday. BUT today we ended up really liking him and THEN figured out he won't be there on Monday! The irony!
  • The doc that WILL be at the hospital on Monday is my 2nd favorite doctor though! Tom hasn't met him yet but I did and immediately liked him, so I think it's all working out just fine.
  • I asked if there were any eating restrictions, when I should stop eating, etc before the induction and he told me eat as much as I want. Not the answer I was expecting, but a yummier one!
  • My plan for walking all weekend to break my water is off! But maybe I'll be able to dilate some more with my walking.
  • A 2nd doc has agreed that being 3 cm dilated is a good thing. He also gave me the "looks really good" speech. So hopefully it will count for something and move things along better.
  • My birth plan has always been to go as naturally as possible with an induction being one of the last things I wanted. Turns out, I like the idea of knowing when I am going into the hospital - everything will be ready, I'll be showered, Tom doesn't have to rush to get me there, etc. It also is putting a bit of a kink into my no epidural rule. I never said I would not get an epidural, but I wanted to see how long I could go naturally because I wanted to be able to get up, walk around and feel the contractions to hopefully help with the pushing. Getting an induction tends to go with epidurals, but I still think I will see how long I can go without it. It's more now the thought of my giant baby coming out that makes me think I'll get that epidural in the end! :) But as every doctor has said, it's all a play it by ear thing - just go with everything - nothing is written in stone - relax. Deep breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment