Friday, March 6, 2009

Telling Kindergarteners!

For some reason, the thought of telling my class I'm pregnant was terrifying! I had anxiety about it all day. So I waited until the last 15 minutes of school to tell them. AND MAN! They were SO excited! I honestly didn't expect them to be excited about it. So here are a few comments after the announcement:

One of the things I said when I told them was that my belly is going to be getting bigger, because I'm having a baby, not because I'm fat - so don't call me fat! :)
Student 1: "We wouldn't call you fat"
Student 2: "But you are going to get bigger"
Student 3: "Like this big!" (holds out arms in front making a pregnant belly)

Student 1: "Is it a boy or a girl?"
Me: "I don't know yet"
Students (all at once): "I think it's a boy!" "I think it's a girl!"
Me: "I won't find out for a while, not until May"
Student 2: "That's my birthday month!"
Student 3: " Can we vote on what we think it will be?"
Me: "Of course!"
Student 4: "Can we set up a polling booth like for the election?"
Me: "Sure"

Student: "How big is it?"
Me: "Not very big" (put fingers 2 inches apart)
Student: "Oh, it has to get to be this big" (shows me actual baby size)
I guess he thought I didn't know

Student: "You know, you have to get your belly cut open"
Me: "Well, I might not have to"
Student: "Well, how else does the baby come out?"
Me: "Um....ask your mom"

Student: "Hey! We need to go tell Mrs. Cochran (other Kindergarten teacher)!"
Me: "She already knows"
Like they were really the first to hear! How cute!

Some of the first graders were very excited when they heard because I had some of those children for two years (I taught Pre-Kindergarten one year and Kindergarten the following year). One of the students said "Geez! I had her two years and she couldn't get pregnant then!"

Oh those kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment